Top 5 Immune Boosting Supplements: Magnesium
It’s most well known as the calming nutrient because of its ability to relax muscles, help us sleep, regulate hormones, relax blood vessels, and relieve depression. Aren’t you calmer just reading about it?
Magnesium moves dietary calcium into the bones, decalcifies arteries, helps prevent blood clotting, and improves mental disorders like anxiety, hyperactivity, and depression.
This wonder nutrient is responsible for the regulation of over 300 body processes. That’s why it makes the list of Top 5 Real Food Supplements.
According to Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM), magnesium is related to the gall bladder and liver. This makes sense when most of our illnesses stem from digestive issues.
Did you know that our bodies use 54 molecules of magnesium to deal with a single molecule of sugar? Between a high sugar and refined foods diet, high stress (which also depletes magnesium), and impaired digestion, it’s no wonder over 75% of the population has a chronic magnesium deficiency.
Symptoms of Magnesium Deficiency
- muscle cramps and spasms, like that weird eye twitch you get when you’re really stressed
- PMS & menstrual cramps
- body odor
- rapid heartbeat
- high blood pressure
- atherosclerosis (hardening of the arteries)
- Attention Deficit [Hyperactivity] Disorder (ADD/ADHD)
- Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS)
- teeth and bone deficiencies (tooth decay, osteoporosis, etc.)
- soft tissue calcium deposits (osteoarthritis, bone spurs, etc.)
Top Sources for Increasing Magnesium Levels
- Properly-prepared grains and legumes (soaked and sprouted)
*Transdermal (through the skin) magnesium is the preferred method for supplementation. It doesn’t cause digestive upset and allows more magnesium to be absorbed than oral supplements.
Healing with Whole Foods: Asian Traditions and Modern Nutrition by Paul Pitchford
Photo Credit: Viroqua Food Co-op