Homemade Cough Syrup, Witch Doctor style
I recently added to my witch doctor remedies, voodoo practitioner if you prefer, by brewing up one that remedied a bout of bronchitis that was creeping up on me. There was this nasty cold that I wasn’t taking care of. Hack hack, cough cough. Lo and behold…bronchitis.
I stopped coughing within three minutes of taking this, coughed minimally the next day – even though I have an almost 3 year old that does not allow me the option of resting my voice -, and haven’t coughed since.
This is not a miracle cure as there is no eye of newt or tongue of bat, but it worked a miracle on me.
Your overall diet will make a dramatic difference in the intensity of your illness and how quickly you recover. Consuming large amounts of sugar and processed foods will significantly impact your recovery.
Focus on natural home remedies like homemade broths, foods rich in whole vitamin C, and probiotics – fermented foods and drinks are a wonderful source -.
- 2 Tablespoons Bragg Organic Raw Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon raw* honey, preferably local
- 1 Tablespoon elderberry syrup made from pure elderberries or elderberry powder
- 1 Tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- Stir until honey dissolves and all ingredients are incorporated.
- Forcefully slurp (like you were trying to drink really hot broth) spoonfuls of mixture from a teaspoon or soup spoon until it is finished. Breathe in very lightly as you slurp to help distribute the liquid closer to your bronchial tubes. You may cough like a madman for a few minutes during the process and directly afterward but, I assure you, it is temporary.
*Raw is not necessary but helps greatly with the healing process. Do not feed honey to children under 1 year old. Happy healing!